I’ve put some resources up for my students and I’m going to copy them here in case they’re of wider interest. I’ve made instructional videos for using some of the tools.
Online Meetings / Online Jams
- Jitsi Meet– Doesn’t spy on you or sell your data. Can be used via mobile device with a free app or accessed via a web browser on your computer. Users without either of these can call in using local numbers in several countries. Can record to Dropbox or stream to YouTube. Works best with chromium/chrome. Some people have good luck with Firefox. Safari has poor results.
Telematic Performance Software and Platforms
- OBS Studio – Stream Audio and Video and/or record your desktop. (How to use on mac.)
- Upstage – Cyber performance platform, mostly used by artists.
- LNX Studio – Collaborative platform for making popular music across a network. Mac only. Last updated in 2016, so may not work with the newest macs.
- Soundflower – Zero latency audio routing for mac. (Use it to get audio to and from jitsi meet and OBS.)
- BlackHole – Even more zero latency audio routing for mac. (See above.)
Made by me. My students like videos. I’ll post text here later. All of these are for Mac.
- How to record and broadcast with OBS
- How to send sound from an audio program to web conferencing software and back again. This uses Ableton and Jitsi Meet in the example, but anything should work.
- Convert video formats using VLC.
- How to control Ableton from your phone using any OSC app